An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Tuesday, 20 March 2012

New Fenders

Front fender by Dick Snell
Some time ago (October 2011) I went down to the boat and found the front and rear fenders had been stolen. I was furious but with the passage of time became quite sanguine about the loss.  I didn't quite understand how I could improve on the security of fenders (they took everything including the chains and turnbuckles) and I just put it down to experience and that perhaps a passing boater thought they had more need than me.  They were very special fenders made by my friend Dick Snell and I am sure they would match the best found elsewhere on the cut.

Tipcat and button by Dick Snell
Standing 'erect' as my friend Mick insists
I purchased some 'off-the-shelf' fenders at the time which did the job but were not a patch on the Dick Snell fenders I had enjoyed previously.  I commissioned Dick to make a new set at the time and last week he delivered them to me.  I fitted them today and they fitted like a glove and look wonderful.

A special 'thank you' to my former Royal Marine friend, Brian, for giving up his day to help me fit them - Brian you are a star.

No comments:

Post a Comment