An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Basingstoke Backpumping switched off

Regrettably in these times of drought (surprising when I look outside) the Environment Agency have revoked (that hopefully will be temporary) the water abstraction licence that enables the Woking pound on the Basingstoke Canal to remain open.  The abstraction licence allows back pumping from below Lock 1 (effectively the River Wey) to above lock 6 (the Woking pound). I believe this is the first time the licence has been revoked in the 20 (or so) years that back pumping has been in place.

I suppose it is inevitable in these times of drought and no matter how wet and cold it looks through my windows this morning there's no doubt we have had two very dry winters one after the other.

I am a firm believer that nature balances things out over time so despite it being wet and miserable there is a benefit to everything from the wet (and I believe soon to be windy) weather we have at the moment.

I do wish the EA would make their revocation order a bit more 'user friendly.  See this link.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating reading on that EA site. I hope you know your OOLITES from your PISOLITES! There is a difference you know - it's all to do with size :o))

    ReplyDelete