An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Friday, 18 May 2012

Getting Ready for QDJP

Well the chain has arrived - £111:40 for 15m (44kg) and probably (hopefully) something I am not going to use but 'they' have insisted.

All the documentation arrived yesterday - there's a 35-page booklet of instructions and a 45-page Generic Passage Plan document - I have done all my working out (sounds like being back at school) and I think we are there now.

It's going to be the volume of traffic on the tideway that I think is the scariest thing - don't want anyone in front of me baulking or slowing for a bridge as the concertina effect behind (the Dutch barges are there) is quite a thing to contemplate.

The boat is full of diesel, the water tank is full,  the pump out tank is empty, I need one new gas bottle - Leo No2 takes 3.9kg propane which, although small, tend to last quite some time and I have three on board.

I think I have everything in place - paperwork - there's oodles of it, the boat is ready (apart from the gas bottle), the flags and bunting are on the boat, the crew (Trevor and Sue) are ready and we are off on Wednesday 30-May-12 and will lock through at Teddington on 31-May-12 just before the high tide  which is predicted for 11:43 (BST) - we'll try and go at about 11:00 and push the tide until Richmond half tide lock.  Overnight in Limehouse for a briefing and then on to West India on the Friday.

I'll try and keep the Twitter feed up-to-date but if not we'll update the blog in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment