An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Saturday, 26 May 2012

I think I am ready

Will it all be as quiet as this
QDJP practice September 2011
I was going to wash the boat this weekend but it is just too hot to try - I suppose I should have gone down there early this morning before the sun managed to get any heat in it but it just didn't work out that way - may try tomorrow.

I now have:
  • 15m of anchor chain (very expensive)
  • 35m of 14mm rope
  • My boarding card (sounds like being back working for BA again) and my crew have theirs
  • A full diesel tank
  • Three full 3.9kg gas bottles - front deck is too low to accommodate larger ones
  • A full water tank
  • An empty poo tank
  • All the paperwork - in my days with BA it was always said that an aeroplane could never carry the weight of paperwork required to get it to fly - I think we are at that stage now but we won't sink!

Just a polish of the brass, a wash and attendance at two further briefings - one just for narrowboats and one for the narrowboats along with the Dunkirk Little Ships, the Avenue of Sail, the recreational boats (known irreverently as the Tupperware Navy!) and the Dutch Barges AND the scrutineering which I am not looking forward to - rather like having an MoT for the car - someone else nosing about your pride and joy - but I suppose it will do no harm.

The only thing that is bugging me is that I don't feel 100% well but I am putting that down to nervous anticipation and I hope that all will be well on the day.

1 comment:

  1. You will be fine! Just enjoy the moment - it's been a long time in preparation. Will there be a video to show the whole pageant?

    ReplyDelete