An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Planning for the QDJP and what 'they' want

It's not far away now and there's just soooo much paperwork and things to do.

The boat is fuelled up (Tingdene on the Wey (Pyrford marina) now allow self-certification of the diesel split (Heating/Propulsion) so that's a help) and I've done a pump out - may have to do another one before the big weekend but with 300 litres of fuel on board that should be enough.

Looks like I need to purchase some anchor chain and rope - 'they' are saying the minimum is 15 meters of chain and 35 meters of rope - can't think I'll ever need that again!

Leo No2 during the September
2011 QDJP practice
Also 'they' have sent a generic passage plan with all sorts of things in it but it seems 'they' want me to know how much air draft and how much space under the bottom of the boat at each bridge with allowance for tidal surge - I wonder if it is not good enough that it's all been done before and we didn't hit anything? Oh and I have to allow 0.5m extra under the boat and 1.0m above the boat.

'They' talk about flares - not sure I'll need those again and buckets for bailing!

Leo No2 and all the other narrowboats are so much smaller than a huge proportion of the other participants I just feel 'they' are trying to cover themselves for everything.

Brain is going into fade mode - I'll look at it in the morning and do what I can to ensure I abide by what 'they' want.

I have now had a go at doing the 'Generic Passage Plan'; it looks a bit like this:

Bridge North Centre South Remarks
Hammersmith Min Depth (-1.4) 1.2 0.0 Air draft OK
Height 2.7 2.7 2.7 Barrier closed
Free Water 1.3 3.9 2.7
Draft 0.6 0.6 0.6
Keel Clearance 0.7 3.3 2.1
Additional .5m 0.5 0.5 0.5
Clearance 0.2 2.8 1.6 Tight on north
Putney Min Depth 0.0 1.3 0.0 Air draft OK
Height 3.0 3.0 3.0 Barrier closed
Free Water 3.0 4.3 3.0
Draft 0.6 0.6 0.6
Keel Clearance 2.4 3.7 2.4
Additional .5m 0.5 0.5 0.5
Clearance 1.9 3.2 1.9 Looks good

We are given the minimum charted depth and at the end of the document the predicted height at each bridge (assuming the Thames Barrier is closed).  I have assumed a draft of 0.6m and then, as instructed, added an extra 0.5m for 'tidal surge'.  Leo No2 is scheduled to go down the Centre. I have not concerned myself with air draft other than to consider that there are a lot bigger boats around to whom it may be an issue.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like 'elfinsafety' gone way over the top!
    You are welcome to borrow my anchor, chain and warp, but it ain't anything like that long! How long???

    ReplyDelete