An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Monday, 14 May 2012

We've found the chain we need

A little bit of surfing and we have found an off cut of chain that will be suitable for our needs but at 21m it is a bit heavy at 46kg.  My good friend Rodney also wants some chain and as luck would have it he needs 6m and I need 15m!  I am sure it will come in useful at some stage but I am firmly of the belief that if I need to deploy (very technical term!) the anchor two things are obvious - 1) we are in big trouble and 2) I'll not be able to recover it easily.  However it will come in handy should we absolutely need it.

Whilst on the subject of difficult river conditions (well sort of) may I commend the blog of the other Leo (or 'Blue Leo') and their trip from Wallingford to Oxford in difficult conditions which can be seen here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment