An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Thursday, 14 June 2012

Never rains but it pours

Just planning the trip to Stratford on Avon (boat repainting at Stem to Stern) and find we have red boards on the Wey (no access to Thames Lock) and also either red boards or caution stream increasing boards on the Thames. Sod's law I suppose. I don't really mind yellow boards coming down the Thames (but wary of things going wrong especially at bridges) but going upstream it is a non-starter in my view.

We could go via Hanwell and the Grand Union but I find the lower gates (especially) on the GU quite a challenge so I think we'll play it by ear and see if we can make a dash up the Thames as soon as conditions permit.

4 days to Oxford I think, 4 days to Napton (now the restrictions are lifted) and 3 days to Stratford.

I'll have to bide my soul in patience I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment