An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Painting update (7) - Raddle Red

The roof is now in raddle red which Dave Moore tells me is the correct traditional colour to paint a roof and the boat is starting to look as I imagined it.  Getting quite excited now. Should (according to the latest plan) collect the boat on Monday week (30-July) but that may change depending on the weather - it just could get too hot to continue!

Adam (Briar Rose) has asked about the colour of the gunwales - I would have liked them to be raddle red but according to Dave Moore traditionally they were black and as I want to keep the painting as near traditional as possible I'll leave them black but I suspect there were boats around that had them in raddle red.  It's a bit like the red bands on a chimney between the brass bands - understand they were never red; always black - discuss?  

2 comments:

  1. We're going for a raddle red roof when we have Briar Rose repainted in the autumn. We're also having raddle red gunwale tops, which is another nice traditional touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam - thanks for the comment - I wanted raddle red gunwales too but Dave Moore (who is doing the sign writing) told me that in the true sense of traditional they weren't and should be black :-(. Never mind that's small price to pay for a nicely painted boat. I did say to Dave at one stage you choose the colours and I'll write the cheque!!!!

    ReplyDelete