An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Sunday, 15 July 2012

Wording for rear panel agreed

Coxes Mill (below the lock) during
a period of re-use in the early 1980s
It's been quite difficult to come up with suitable wording for the rear panel.  I have strong associations with the Basingstoke Canal (yes it is open but currently only as far as Brookwood Country Park) and the River Wey.

The issues I had to resolve were:

  • I am single so there's not two sets of initials and no sons or daughters to add
  • I don't have a trade to add (e.g. a locksmith or similar type of trade) - I could perhaps have put 'Former IT expert' but that hardly fits with the historic aspect of the waterways
  • I wanted to make sure what was done was traditional - thanks Dave (Moore) for all your advice and my mind changing too often and also to my friends (you know who you are) for their advice 
Coxes Mill and lock as it is today
with modern flats but still retaining
its historic fa├žade
I have now opted to have my initials and last name at the top of the panel and the location of my mooring (more or less) at the bottom - Coxes Mill.  I considered Coxes Lock (I preferred Mill to Lock)  Black Boy Bridge (close to my moorings but it has 'racial' overtones and perhaps wasn't suitable in these sensitive times), Pelican Wharf (the area where I moor but in fact doesn't exist and never has done), Sheets Heath Bridge (where I live and the boat was moored for a couple of years but it is on the Basingstoke) and finally I considered replicating the back panel of my Mum's cousin's Heather Bell (C & D March and Worcester - Worcester was dropped during the war!) but decided that wasn't right so it is to be Name and Coxes Mill.

2 comments:

  1. No "Wey Navigation" then? Who is going to know where Coxes Mill is when you are out and about?
    Just another comment to add to the many you must already have had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue is that having the 'navigation' you are on is not traditional - it was always a 'location' - and you know what Dave Moore is like about keeping in line with tradition - I quite like Coxes Mill - sounds slightly 'industrial' but perhaps more importantly it meets with Dave's approval (and mine) :-)

    ReplyDelete