An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Last painting update

There are some more photos I'd like to have but I am off to collect (and pay for !) the boat tomorrow and I have put the painter under enough pressure to take photos for me.  Hope to get away from Stratford (Railway Bridge No 64 area) as soon after lunch as possible and try and make it to Wootton Warwen or Preston Baggot bottom lock for tomorrow evening.  That way we should clear the lower Stratford on Thursday and at least be at the top of Hatton for Friday morning if not outside the Cape of Good Hope! Have to fill up with diesel and water before we go but the evenings remain light enough to continue on a bit. 

The plan is to turn right at Napton Junction and go down the Oxford (I think we will miss the crowds at Cropredy Festival) and then down the Thames (EA have confirmed I am entitled to a section 9 exemption for the Thames part of the trip providing I don't waste any time which is a fair compromise.)

So it is off to Stratford in the morning with my friend Brian from Orion's Wey and we'll make our way home onto the Wey.

I'll try and keep the blog updated with our progress.

I have brought all the information about the repaint together here. There is also a link on the lefthand side of the main page called Leo No2 Painting under 'Local Waterways Sites'.

No comments:

Post a Comment