An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Sunday, 9 September 2012

Home (again)

Newark Priory ruins (from Warren
Farm moorings)
We had a lovely evening at Warren Farm with a lovely bonfire and BBQ. This morning was quite wonderful with a gin clear sky and a lot of mist around.

We decided to stay a while because my friend Brian (Orion's Wey) wanted to watch the Grand Prix from Monza.  At 12:10 he realised that it wasn't being shown on the BBC so we poddled off.

We stopped at Byfleet Boat Club to top up with water and then went on to our moorings at Addlestone.

I received quite a surprise when I arrived on my mooring to find someone fishing.  He told me in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't be there as I had no right and that he was fishing.  I pointed out that I paid an not unsubstantial sum for the right to moor.  He was very unhappy.  Luckily friends from Selina Rose (moored nearby) had come across to help me moor so they saw the whole episode.  I rang the National Trust to report the incident whilst the fisherman wandered off but left his fishing gear behind - that was slightly intimidating.  As luck would have it a policeman happened by (they never usually do) so I placed the issue in his hands and he quietened the fisherman down and sent him on his way and then came and looked around the boat.

I found the whole episode intimidating but I am sure things will work out in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment