An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Sunday, 14 October 2012

Brass Tunnel Light

For quite some time I have had a chrome Francis tunnel light on the boat which originally came from the Fire Service Benevolent Fund in Aberdeen.  As most of the metal items on the outside of the boat are brass I looked into getting the light de-chromed.  Quite a cost at £175 plus VAT (£210) plus 28 days (ish) to do the work.

I nosed around in E-Bay and found one that had already been de-chromed that still had the, in my view, all-important foot.  I knew how much the de-chroming would cost and had a fair idea how much the old light would sell for so knew how much I could safely bid.  The chromed one (brass under the chrome) has gone to a good home and the brass one is in place on my boat and I think it looks great.

1 comment:

  1. Now you will have to ask Herbie aka Neil Corbett to take another photo of Leo No2 on the Thames for a new cover pic on your blog. I think all that will cost more than what your new lamp cost!! It does look good though.

    ReplyDelete