An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Thursday, 15 November 2012

Big Decision

I have made a big decision recently having put my house on the market and, this week, accepted an offer on it.

I am interested in a house that fronts onto the Grand Union in the Northants area - that will move me to a more dynamic canalside location (a bit like moving from an unadopted road to the M1 I suppose).

There's lots of things to consider, a very close involvement with Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society over 25 years, a more recent close involvement with Byfleet Boat Club (great new website), volunteer work for the National Trust on the River Wey and occasionally for the Basingstoke Canal Authority on the Basingstoke.

But the house I have is as near complete as I can make it for me, I still have the energy to want (need?) a project, and the house I have been looking at, whilst seeming to be structurally sound, needs a fair bit of TLC.

Of course in these days there's many a slip twixt the cup and lip but I am hopeful things will proceed if planned.  If not, then I have a lovely house and varied interests where I live. Once the offer I have made on the new house is accepted I'll post details but not until I have had the offer accepted.

1 comment:

  1. An exciting time for you then. Maybe it's time to move on and develop new interests and new friendships. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. John Thorpe writes about one of those cottages in "A Windlass In My Belt", dated 1957. Want to know more? BTW they all belonged to Mary Ward.

    ReplyDelete