An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Sunday, 4 November 2012

Fireworks at Send

Leo No2 approaching Walsham Gates
in the rain this morning - taken by my
friend Suzanne on Aqua Vitae.
Some members of Byfleet Boat Club braved the weather this weekend to go to Send (in Surrey) to see the fireworks and to enjoy an evening in the pub.

Just before leaving home we received news that the Wey was in flood - it seems a regular occurrence this year, I imagine because the ground is so thoroughly soaked after such an awful summer.  We decided to go as far as Byfleet Boat Club on the Friday and see what the morning brought.

Saturday 09:15 and we received the news we had hoped for, the river sections were open so off we went. We dragged the bottom between Papercourt Lock and the winding hole above Worsfold Gates.  Very odd we thought with such a lot of water around.  It turned out, after a phone call to Thames Lock, that the weir had jammed on a tree on its way down.  As soon as that was fixed the water levels came up.

We enjoyed a pleasant evening at the fireworks followed by an equally enjoyable evening in the New Inn at Send.

At about 04:00 I could hear the rain pounding on the roof - such a snug feeling inside the warmth of the boat.  I poked my nose out (still in my jimmy jams) just after 07:00 - we all had a quick chat and decided to get ready to go quickly to avoid the certainty of more red boards on the river sections.  We were off in less than 20 mins and made it through Walsham Gates as the relief weir-keeper made his way up to put the red boards on.

A lovely weekend with good friends - what more can you ask for - good weather - not this year I fear!

I have been obliged to turn on my spam prevention as this post got me a number of E-mails from Bradford encouraging me to have a new aluminium shop front - on your bike mate!

1 comment:

  1. Nice display at Send - pity they'd run out of mulled wine when we arrived! Shame we didn't see you there. Well done with outrunning the floods...
    Phil & Carol

    ReplyDelete