An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Friday, 11 January 2013

Another trip to Stoke Bruerne

Another trip to Stoke Bruerne today to clear things with the Conservation Officer at the local council and to talk to a builder about project managing the work required.

I am pleased I didn't just go to meet the conservation officer. The officer was, to my mind, totally unprepared for the visit, took no notes and no photographs - I come from a background of having to deliver come what may; it was easier to give the Chief Exec of BA his information than to find excuses for not delivering it and that meant it had to be ready by about 06:30 each morning. It became a matter of pride over the years that we could count on the fingers (of both hands!) the number of times we didn't deliver on time - that doesn't seem to be the case with people who work for local authorities IMHO.

The builder, on the other hand, was very pleasant and business like, he listened to what we had to say, took notes and made arrangements to return next week.

We had a lovely lunch in the Boat Inn, we then went to Blisworth Marina to see if I would like to moor my boat there (I would) and then on to Braunston to get my friend Rodney a part for his Gardner 2LW from Tony and Paul Redshaw.

Rodney has been so good to me - helping and offering advice, challenging my thoughts (always a good idea) and generally being an all round true friend - I am most indebted to him for his help, sense of humour and kindness.

3 comments:

  1. Only six gongoozlers at the lockside? It must be early on a summers morning then.

    Blisworth Marina - nice, quiet location and they have some good parties by the look of the pics on their site.

    Did you see the fastest shopping trolley?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18WgCID7pQk&NR=1&rel=0

    Rodney can have his windlass next w/end. See you then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also taken a few years ago since I notice the sign says "Bruernes Lock" not "Spice of Bruerne".

    Interested to see you around our area. We are moored at Kingfisher Marina, Yardley Gobion.

    How about a link on your site?. Steve from NB Albert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve -I have added your blog. I look forward to meeting you and Maggie.

      Delete