An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Plans for 2013

Still basking in the reflected 'pleasure' of having got four boats to Brookwood Village after four years of no boats - we had such a wonderful time.

2013 looks as if it will be a busy year. Stoke Bruerne looms on the not too distant horizon - I would like to try and get an early exchange so I know what I am doing - I just dislike the house buying/selling process in this country so much and everyone feels vulnerable even if they are like me and in a tiny chain. Why it can't be more like Scotland is beyond me.

I am not going to seek reelection to be Commodore of Byfleet Boat Club - I have enjoyed my time at the club very much and made some wonderful friends who I hope will remain friends forever. Much the same can be said about Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society (now of course the Basingstoke Canal Society) - I have been involved for about 25 years and still feel passionate about this lovely canal - we'll have a final fling at Easter and go to the limit of the navigation at King John's Castle (please reply to this post if you want to come). You take take me away from the Basingstoke but you can't take the Basingstoke out of me. I have enjoyed my volunteering with the National Trust - we've always had a laugh and I feel that the work we have done has benefitted the River Wey and Godalming Navigations (to give them their full and proper name).

On the assumption that all goes according to plan there's lots to interest and entertain me in Stoke Bruerne but I think I may take some of my own advice and just spend 12 months or so seeing what goes on, what needs the skills I may have and where my energies can best be directed whilst have still have them!

2013 certainly looks as if it will be an interesting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment