An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Sunday, 20 January 2013

Redway Lock - Basingstoke Canal

Pete's widow (Marguerite),  Phil Riley
(Chair of SHCS) and Robin Higgs
The stone commemorating Pete

I was privileged to be invited as a Committee member of SHCS (now Basingstoke Canal Society) and Commodore of Byfleet Boat Club to the official naming of Lock 11 (top lock of the St John's flight) as Redway Lock in memory of Pete Redway (known, I am sure, to a number of you, especially those who have been good enough over the years to attend WRG summer camps on the Basingstoke).

It was the 'old campaigners' who were there but we had the pleasure of the company of our local County Councillor and chair of the Joint Management Committee of the canal (Linda Kemeny), her partner John Kingsbury (a former Mayor of Woking) and many people who knew and had worked with Pete and the Redway family on the canal over many a year.

We followed up the official part of the day with a very convivial visit to the local pub - the Rowbarge.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn
    Just spotted on Neil's blog (NB Herbie) that you are using T-Mobile's wireless pointer for internet access. I'm using a 3 Mifi, but am looking to change. Is the T-M signal reliable, and what do you think of the gadget? Also I notice that Neil mentions an antenna connection. Does using this improve the signal strength considerably?
    Cheers, Geoff
    NB Seyella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff and Mags

    I think it is excellent. It gives me WiFi throughout the boat - all 60'. The one downside, in my view, is that the device can seemingly only be recharged using 240v - I have plenty of that but don't really like turning it on just to charge the WiFi. What I do is charge it during the day whilst running and it'll last all evening and then some. The details I gave the Herbies are as follows:

    The external aerial I have is available here:

    (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280944300930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_2509wt_1413)

    The fitting for the aerial is TS9 whatever that means!

    The T-mobile website for their pointer is here:

    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/wireless-pointer/

    There are all sorts of deals available - I went for the 18 month contract at £15 per month, free Pointer and 5GB a month. It's just easy when going to the boat to know it will work.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete