An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Exchanged!

I have just had confirmation that contracts have been exchanged for the sale of my house and the purchase of one of the Canalside Cottages in Stoke Bruerne.

I have loved my time in Brookwood which has enabled me to work for BA for 35 years (I just loved my job there) but the time has come to move on and I shall be living in Stoke Bruerne I expect until the  men in white coats (or the the ones with the long box) come and take me away.

I am going to miss all my friends in Brookwood and at Byfleet Boat Club (who have always made me so welcome - I shall not forget you) but I shall make new ones I hope in Stoke Bruerne - it's going to be a bit like moving from a country track to the M1 in terms of canals - the Basingstoke to the Grand Union.

There's some work to do in Stoke Bruerne which will take about six weeks so I don't anticipate moving in until early June - just in time for the summer.  I move out of Brookwood at the end of April so I'll spend a few relaxing weeks on the boat.

In the meantime there's the Basingstoke cruise to Odiham to organise and that's looking very promising so I'll sign off from here with the Basingstoke being open for business I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Will be coming past Stoke Bruerne in a few days. Will look out for you with your overalls on and paintbrush in hand!
    Hope you will be very happy there.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete