An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Sunday, 24 March 2013

Why have I got so much 'stuff' ?

The 'new' house
I am getting the house ready to move - exchange date is 26-April - quite some time away you may think but I have a small matter of i) Getting ready on my own (one of the downsides of being single ii) Having to put my 'stuff' into storage iii) Cruising the Basingstoke from Woodham Junction to King John's Castle and iv) getting the boat blacked.  I just find it all a wee bit daunting.

I ran my last committee meeting as Commodore of Byfleet Boat Club on Friday night (and the club is financially secure - PHEW!) but still have the AGM to deal with which is on 21-April; I am still not sure who will take over as Commodore but that's not my responsibility but do still feel a degree of moral responsibility to chat to the right people.

Stoke Bruerne in 1914 from
Waterways of Northamptonshire
I cannot believe I have two ironing boards (that's my 'fault') but I do know why I have four sets of cutlery (three came from mother's estate and I just cannot bring myself to throw them out or sell them yet but quite why they came to me I just don't know considering they came 12,500 miles from NZ!).

I have some wonderful friends all of whom have offered to help but I need to get my head around what stays with me and what goes and I don't want anyone opening a drawer or a cupboard and saying 'what is all this!'

It'll be alright as soon as the Basingstoke cruise is done and the boat is being blacked (and it is warmer!) I'll be able to focus a bit more on the task in hand.

There are some fascinating images of my 'new' house in David Blagrove's book 'Waterways of Northamptonshire' on pages 96 and 97.  It all looked quite austere in those early days.

No comments:

Post a Comment