An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Wey Transit Licence

I quite regularly purchase a Wey Transit Licence to travel between the River Wey and the tidal Thames at Teddington or vice versa.

There's been a lot of 'disquiet' (I don't think that's too strong a term) recently with advice that we couldn't stop on the trip between the Wey and Teddington (or Teddington and the Wey) but those who know this stretch of the Thames and the tidal Thames will understand that a full transit is not always possible.  This was brought to a head last Friday (10-May) when the lockkeeper at Teddington advised me to be 'off the river that evening'.  It was 16:00 and the transit time to the Wey is about 3 or 4 hours so I politely (I hope) pointed out that it would not be possible to accede to his request because of the opening hours of Thames Lock (River Wey) which closes each evening at 18:00.  His response was to tell me to be above Sunbury that evening.  Having single-handed from Bulls Bridge that day (my choice I admit) and taken the first available tide of the day I felt that perhaps stopping at Hampton Court would be sensible from a tiredness point-of-view.  I rang the EA Helpline who advised me that the licence was valid for 24 hours (just as I originally thought).

We were not challenged by the lockkeepers at Molesey or Sunbury on the Saturday morning but I still had a feeling that I wanted a bit more concrete information to back up the call to the EA so I E-Mailed their helpline and asked for the Terms and Conditions of the transit licence as they do not give you those when purchasing the licence.  They kindly responded today with this Terms and Conditions which I have made into a PDF file which is available here.

1 comment:

  1. Print copies to hand to the Lockies when you next come across a "jobsworth" !!

    ReplyDelete