An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Sunday, 2 June 2013

Biding my soul in patience

The new 'finger' on one of the
herringbone moorings at
Addlestone
I am waiting for the builder to finish at Stoke Bruerne but things have, inevitably, been delayed a little due to the awful Spring weather we have been 'enjoying'.

In the meantime I have spent a little time helping the National Trust where I can by making sure they have enough room available to build their new 'fingers' on the herringbone moorings at Addlestone.  What it has meant is that I have ended up squatting on other moorings and had moved three times in a week up until this morning.  This morning a boat called Dingo turned up and advised me that I was on their mooring and the Trust had advised that it was not being occupied.  Just as well I hadn't gone out for the day I suppose.  I moved on to the last remaining unoccupied mooring in the hope that I don't get kicked off that one!  I'll certainly move back on to my own mooring just as soon as I can.  I am not feeling too comfortable at the moment.

I am off to Stoke Bruerne again this Friday - it was the day I had hoped to be moving in but I hope to see a lot of progress and it is the start of the Russell Newbery weekend so it should be quite interesting.

2 comments:

  1. It was most kind of you to relocate to another mooring without fuss or bother, appreciated, thanks once again. Pleased you like your 'new' temporary spot in the countryside. Regards Nb Dingo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's no problem - I knew I was 'squatting' albeit with good intent as the Addlestone herringbone moorings were being repaired and there was another mooring available. I am quite happy here although in reality they are a bit remote. I'll be back down to Addlestone either late Sunday or Monday morning as hopefully the herringbone moorings will have been finished by then and things will be back to 'normal'.

    ReplyDelete