An excerpt from Wind in the Willows

Nice? It's the ONLY thing, said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing, he went on dreamily: messing - about - in - boats; messing----'
From 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame.

Friday, 19 July 2013

IWA Festival

I decided to have a break from the house and attend the IWA Festival at Watford so on Monday (very early) I left Stoke Bruerne (in the car) and headed to the boat at Addlestone.  The traffic was appalling - tail backs started almost immediately!

Met my friends John and Anne at Addlestone and we headed off to the Thames and had a very leisurely trip to Kingston. Tuesday and it was off down the tidal part of the Thames to Brentford (for the second time just arrived at Teddington and straight into the lock).  An uneventful trip to Brentford and then we attacked the Hanwell flight.  The plan had been to breast up with John and Anne on Angonamo and try and make Hanwell easier.  As luck would have it I just happened to check my battery charging and after three hours it was 45 amps - not good.  Shortly afterwards I smelt the classic 'rotten eggs' overcooking battery smell so the engine and batteries were switched off and John's Angonamo did sterling work in getting us to Bulls Bridge.  On inspection one battery was too hot to touch so I called River Canal Rescue - typical that they don't cover the domestic side of things but they did call and engineer for me,  Ralph came and replaced all four batteries the following day - the hot battery from the previous day was still too hot to handle!

An uneventful (apart from the heat) trip to Black Jack's Lock for an overnight mooring (having left Bulls Bridge around 13:00) and then on to the festival site to moor with Byfleet Boat Club and relax. The batteries are working well.

No comments:

Post a Comment